show your support

5 Household Items You Didn’t Know Were Dangerous to Your Bulldog

Bulldog owners tend to really love their breed, and want to be knowledgeable of what a bulldog owner needs to do to have a healthy, happy dog. However, after some thorough research you will realize that there are several things in your home that you had no idea your puppy was allergic to or somehow posed some other threat to your bulldog. Within this article you will learn of 5 extremely common household items and foods that you should keep away from your bulldog at all times.


The danger that raisins pose to dogs is severe and mysterious. Typically leading to kidney failure, raisins have a tendency to make your puppy severely sick, and in the worst-case scenarios, kill them. This includes foods with raisins in them, such as oatmeal raisin cookies. Be sure to keep raisins well out of reach of your pup at all times. You will be lucky if your pup’s body just rejects the raisins with diarrhea or vomit. Please heed this warning.


You may consider this common sense after the bit about raisins, but let’s be clear that it’s not the processing of raisins that’s dangerous to your roly-poly canine. This means that grapes are also equally as dangerous. Many dog owners play “catch the grape” with their pet and report little to no problems. Veterinarians suspect that this is due to low grape content, meaning they just didn’t give them enough to make them terminally ill. Some believe that the dog species has a high tendency to be allergic to grapes and raisins, but not all dogs are, which may be true, like the poison ivy allergy in the human species. The dogs who are allergic to grapes and raisins could die. Do you really want to risk it?

Aloe Plant

A lot of those with green thumbs like to keep Aloe Plants in the house because of their skin healing powers.  Be sure to keep these out of reach of your bulldog. And for everyone else, you know how when you put lotion on your legs your pup likes to follow you around and lick you? Well the same goes for any aloe lotion, cream, or oil that you may have around the house. Ingestion can lead to a very sick dog. Known symptoms are changes in urine color, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and rarely, tremors.


Avocados are incredibly healthy for humans, but its best that you know they’re not quite as healthy for your pet. While they don’t tend to lead to a vet visit, they do tend to irritate the digestive track. Avocados cause vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation in your dog.


Veterinarians have been known to advise that owners give their sick pups low doses of human medicine to hold them over until the vet opens. Know that Ibuprofen is not a medicine that you should ever give your pup. It can be life-threatening in high doses, and can commonly be severe otherwise. Ibuprofen can cause seizures, death, halitosis, kidney failure, abdominal pain, anemia, black-tarry stool, bloody vomit, and lethargy. You do not want to give this to your pup.

Now you’re much better prepared to protect your bulldog pup from harm. Overall the best advice is to stick with edibles that are specifically created for dogs, and keep everything else out of reach. Be sure to be thorough with your research if you do want to start cooking for your dog or giving them whole food treats from your own pantry.

Photo credit: Aobranc/Wikimedia

More articles we recommend: