amandalee27 avatar image

Update on Rebel

The oncologist called today and it was the worst news. It is hemangiosarcoma of the spleen or liver or both. This diagnosis has an extremely poor prognosis. Even with surgery to remove the tumor and associated organ (or parts of the organ) and aggressive chemo the average life span after diagnosis is just six months. I have been doing fairly well the last few days, but this news has just broken me. The oncologist suggests surgery, but she is not confident he will even make it through the operation. I have done my own research over the weekend and found all she said about the poor prognosis to be true.

I would prefer my baby have 30 good days rather than 180 sick days. Of course, that is if I knew the future. Part of me keeps asking what if? What if Rebel is the exception and he lives 2 more years? He is special in so many ways, why not this way?

Rebel is feeling pretty good. Just one incident of fever this weekend that slowed him down for a few hours. Often I watch him and wonder if he could really be dying; but I know this is dangerous thinking.

Send good thoughts and prayers our way. Pray we will be able to make the best decision for our baby. Pray we can be at peace with whatever we decide. Pray Rebel leaves this world happy, peacefully, and pain free. Pray his sister, a basset who was very sick as a puppy (Rebel chewed her food and leaned against her side to support her when she walked) will also find peace and happiness after his passing. Pray for our peace and happiness after he passes as well.

Kathy Chester Newman and Jessa's picture

I'm so sorry...

that is devastating news.  I know how difficult it is to make those kinds of decisions having been through it myself.  Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for your boy.  Whatever you decide to do, you will do the best you can for him.

carmiesmommy's picture

I feel your pain....

Please know that all of us reading this news are praying for your bully and your family. Healing thoughts sent your way.

Deb and MacKenzie and Ester's picture

So so very sorry

I've been where you are at, surgery was not an option for my guy, but he was 11 and I would have never opted for surgery at that age. His last 6 months we spent a lot of time together, lots of couch snuggle time.

My Thoughts and Prayers are with you during this difficult time.

Our Clem had the same thing

the tumor started in his spleen and spread to his liver. Because of his age, the vet did not recommend treatment or surgery.

Sorry that you and Rebel or going through this.


Lynn King CPDT-KA

Cory's picture

I am so sorry to hear about Rebels update

My thoughts an prayers are with you an your family at this difficult time. I know that is the hardest thing to hear, My Chelsea had pancreatic cancer, an there was no option for surgery. What ever decision you make it will be for the best. I pray that you an your bully an family have comfort an peace. again I am so sorry an my prayers are with you.........


Cory & Penelope

Monica-Maude-Gus's picture

I am so sorry

Rebel and you are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm praying that you get many more snuggles with your guy.


Monica, Maude and Gus