Congratulations! You just welcomed your Bulldog puppy home and you are ready to fill his or her life with happiness and everything a dog loves. But, you may be wondering where to begin. As a new pet parent you are now responsible for providing all of the needs your puppy requires. There are a variety of things you need to do to care for your Bulldog puppy. The details below will guide you on your journey to becoming the best pet parent you can be.
· Visit the Veterinarian – You will want to immediately set up a veterinarian appointment for your pup. The veterinarian will conduct a thorough exam to determine the health condition of your Bulldog puppy. You will also want to set up a vaccination schedule and adhere to it at all times.
· Provide a Safe Home Environment – Your puppy is going to need a soft bed to sleep in that he or she can call their own. You will also want to invest in a crate. Since you will be using it for training purposes. Some pet parents do not feel comfortable with crates, but dog’s are den animals and a crate is actually a great way to provide security and protection for your pup.
· Feeding Your Bulldog Puppy – During the visit to the veterinarian he or she will provide you with instructions on the amount, type and frequency to feed your Bulldog puppy. You will want to provide a healthy diet which includes fresh water, nutritious food and healthy treats.
· Socializing Your Bulldog Puppy – Socialization is an essential part of your puppy’s life. Early socialization will prevent behavior and anxiety issues in the future. It is also a great way to get your pup to family, friends, visitors, strangers, other pets and the environment.
· Obedience Training – Training your Bulldog puppy is one of the most important things you will do. Stay patient during the process. Remember every dog learns at his or her own pace. You can choose to train your dog to sit, stay, come and house train him or her at your own pace. It is best to teach one command at a time. Usually most dog owners prefer to start with house training. This is where the crate is going to be helpful to your pup’s training.
· Exercise – Take your Bulldog puppy for a walk, play indoors or outdoors. Make exercise fun and stop if you notice that your pup is panting or looking exhausted. Never over exercise your Bulldog puppy.
· Grooming – The grooming needs of a Bulldog puppy are important. You will want to brush him or her once a week. Trim the nails, clean the ears and eyes, plus give him a bath when needed. Your Bulldog puppy may have wrinkly skin. You will want to pay special attention to these areas. Gently clean the crevices in between the wrinkles with a damp cloth. Then use a dry cloth to dry the area. Allowing moisture to remain in the crevices can develop into a skin infection quickly.
Now that you know how to care for your Bulldog puppy, enjoy every moment. They sure grow up fast and soon the puppy years will be a distant memory. Always care for your pup and contact a veterinarian if you notice anything unusual such as odd behavior, skin rash or redness and health issues. You are well on your way to creating a safe, healthy, happy life for your Bulldog puppy.
Photo credit: Reciprocal of Phi Photography/Flickr