I am new to the group, found this site seeking info regarding our situation. I have a 6-yr old Bully; Sarge, who has developed allergies. We have had him tested and know the things he is allergic to. Some we can avoid, but the yard grass, is a little difficult avoiding. Poor boy will lick his feet and scratch the side of his head (creating sores) forever; when he is itching.
1. Tried injections, but he only got worse.
2. We give him Prednisone 20 mg, but not often. Hate giving him this, due to long-tern side affects.
3. He gets two Hydroxyzine 50 mg, in the morning and two around dinner time, 5pm.
4. We have a spray can of something, ???, and that helps a little, until he decides to lick it off.
5. His food is a Hypoallergenic, Hydrolyzed Protein by Royal Canin, recomended and sold by my Vet.
6. He is best, after his weekly baths, with special medicated shampoo, costing like $39 for 16 oz. bottle.
I'm not sure my Vet is that knowledgable of this Allergy business and Bulldogs. Through my recent research, I have located a Vet, who reportedly is very experienced with Bulldogs. We intend to see him next week I hope.
Anyway, I cannot stand to think how badly he may feel at times itchiing and being unable to resolve the itch. I rub and scratch him a lot, until I have to stop. I am hoping someone has expereinced this same problem and may have "the solution." I would be some happy to resolve his itching. Any imput will be greatly appreciated. We live in Parrish, Fl, in Manatee County, FL; east of Bradenton.
Thanks again for any thoughts.
Steven R. Cooley and Sarge